What is personal information?
When referring to 'personal information', we mean information which identifies you as an individual or from which your identity can be reasonably ascertained. Your name or pseudonym, your postal address or email address and/or your phone number are examples of personal information.
What is sensitive information?
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information. The Privacy Act imposes special obligations where sensitive information is collected, used and disclosed. We collect some forms of sensitive information, including details about gender, cultural background and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status. ASE will not collect sensitive information about you unless you consent (we take your provision of the information to be consent to its collection), and the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. If ASE holds any sensitive personal information about you, that information will only be used and disclosed by ASE for the purpose that it was provided by you.
What personal information does the ASE collect and hold?
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for us to perform one or more of our functions or activities. Depending upon the circumstances you may provide to us, and we may collect, information such as, but not limited to:
- your name;
- your gender;
- your date of birth;
- your contact information;
- your educational qualifications;
- your lists of credits
- your nationality and Australian residency status;
- your racial or ethnic origin;
- your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status;
- your sexual orientation;
- any disabilities, illnesses or injuries you may have.
How does the ASE collect and hold information?
Wherever possible, we collect personal information about you directly from you. For example, when you submit a membership registration form, enter a competition, or fill out a survey.
ASE may also collect your personal information from third parties in accordance with the requirements of the APPs, including from:
- collaborators in a work, including co-editors. This personal information is restricted to information which will assist ASE in member recruitment, such as contact information;
- the public domain including social media, industry directories, industry guides, and the internet.
In common with many websites, when you read, browse or download information from our website, we may also collect information such as the date and time of your visit to the website, the pages accessed, and any information downloaded. This information is used for statistical, reporting and website administration, security, maintenance and improvement purposes.
Irrespective of whether personal information is stored electronically or in hard copy form, we take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Our website provides facilities for the secure transmission of information across the internet. However, users should be aware that there are inherent risks transmitting information across the internet.
How do we use personal information?
Where we collect and hold personal information, it is collected and held for our business purposes, to fulfil our legal obligations and to keep members informed of our activities and services.
We may also use and disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- to manage memberships and access to services provided by us;
- to persons authorised by you;
- to third party specialists we engage to provide us with legal, administrative, financial, insurance, research or other services;
- to support our advocacy projects on behalf of members and in industry studies carried out by us or on our behalf
- in relation to other secondary purposes you might reasonably expect us to use your personal information for in connection with the primary purposes outlined above.
This is not an exhaustive list. We may also use and disclose your personal information for any other purpose to which you have consented, which you would reasonably expect the personal information to be used or disclosed and in other ways subject to the requirements of the APPs.
Questions and concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about ASE’s handling of your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com